Before you move into your new home, here are the five items you must take care of:
1. Get the locks changed. You might get a whole sack of keys when you move into your new home and not know what half of them are used for. And who knows—a neighbor or relative of the former owner might have one. Getting the locks changed is a basic safety requirement.
2. Clean the house. Clean it while it’s empty so that you have better access to all the nooks and crannies and everything’s clean before you move your stuff in.
3. Clean the chimneys, air ducts, and change the air filters. Afterward, mark your calendar to change the filter every three months.
4. Clean the windows (including the blinds and fixtures). Again, this is much easier to do before you move all your stuff in.
5. Install new window treatments. This is a lot easier than putting up a bunch of newspaper as you move in.
If you’d like more tips on how to ease the transition into your new home or you have any other real estate questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I’d love to help you.